Home > Summer Camp
Summer String Experience
2017 July 9-14
University of Saskatchewan
Unlike most other summer camps, our summer camp is staffed by professional musicians including members of the Saskatoon Symphony Orchestra.
For more information contact John or Lillian: 306-373-9130
PROGRAMS AND FEES
Early-bird pricing: Save $50 per child! Registration forms must be received no later than June 1. With programs for both beginners and developing students, the Summer String Experience offers everyone the opportunity to learn and refine skills on the violin, viola or cello, with others who are doing the same. It's an excellent way to be introduced to the instrument for the first time, or for those who already play to find new inspiration from our highly qualified faculty of professional musicians. In addition to instrumental instruction, the SSE offers enrichment music classes, crafts, lunch hour concerts and an evening barbecue. For the really little ones who aren’t quite ready to start with an instrument we have early childhood music classes. Everything wraps up with a final concert on Friday! .
REFUND POLICY: Registration withdrawals prior to June 10 will receive a refund of 50% of the program fee.
Withdrawals after June 10 are not eligible for a refund.
Please note: Children ages 7 and under must be accompanied at all times by a parent or caregiver. For safety reasons, all participants are required to stay together in groups between classes, at breaks and over the lunch hour.
|Beginner Program $225
($275 after June 1)
9:00am to 12:15pm
- For children age 3 and up with no prior lessons in violin or cello.
- Group classes involve a basic introduction to the instrument, and preliminary skills for playing.
- Movement classes also add to the fun!
- This program is highly recommended for those interested in enrolling their children in Suzuki string lessons in the fall.
- A limited number of cellos are available free of charge; violinists and violists rent their own instruments. Having a properly sized instrument for your child is important! Call for details.
|Half-Day Program $235
($285 after June 1)
9:00am to 12:15pm
- For those with some experience in violin, viola or cello, but not yet ready to play in orchestra.
- Small and large group classes in violin, viola or cello
- This program includes technique, repertoire and movement classes. Crafts round out the day.
|Full-Day Program $325
($375 after June 1)
9:00am to 3:40pm
- For those who have played or are ready to play in an orchestra.
- This program includes technique, Suzuki repertoire and percussion classes in the morning.
- Orchestra or sectional rehearsals in the afternoon
- Participants must have experience reading music.
Sinfonia Program $375
($425 after June 1)
9:00 AM - 3:40 PM
- A program developed for advanced players Suzuki Book 4 and up
- String quartet coaching sessions
- More advanced string orchestra
- percussion and musicianship classes
|Pre-instrumental Program $65
($115 after June 1)
Mon - Thu: 11:30 am to 12:15 pm
- Children aged 1 - 3 years
- Classes use songs, nursery rhymes, dance, movement, instruments and fun to teach basic elements of music.
- Since talent can be created at a young age, children who attend music in early childhood classes have a head start when they are old enough to learn a musical instrument.
- A minimum of 10 childern must be registered or the class will be cancelled with refund.
Julia McFarlane (violin)
Trisha Balmer (cello)
Karen Bindle, violin
Agata Czajkowski, violin
Lillian Jen-Payzant, violin
Jim Legge, violin/viola
Scott McKnight, cello
John Payzant , cello
Heather Wilson, violin/viola
David Bindle, percussion class
Sheryl Salen, movement classes
| The directors of the Summer String Experience wish to thank Saskatchewan Orchestral Association, the Saskatchewan Arts Board and Sask Lotteries for generous funding, which makes the Summer String Experience possible, and the University of Saskatchewan Department of Music for facilities.